Use ductwork to connect the unit to the supply and return outlets in the wine cellar. Use only insulated ductwork to minimize cooling losses, prevent sweating, and reduce noise.
Use ductwork on the condenser section to redirect or absorb sound, bring in outside air to the unit inlet, and/or exhaust the hot air out of the ambient space.
Note: Do not exceed a total of 25' for each length of ductwork run and a total of 50' combined for both the supply and return lengths.
Avoid crimping the flexible ducts. This chokes down the inside area and reduces the airflow causing the unit to operate erratically.
Be sure all ducts and surfaces in contact with the airflow are insulated and have a vapor barrier on the outside.
Uninsulated ducts and surfaces cause bare, exposed metal surfaces to sweat, further degrading the insulation and equipment cooling capacity.
General Duct Recommendation
- Provide support for the flexible duct to prevent sags and bends
- Stretch out the duct to make a smoother interior, reducing air resistance
- For 90° bends, use a 90° adjustable elbow (Ell)
- Do not squeeze or reduce the inside diameter of the ducts, which reduces airflow
- Use short and straight ductwork where possible
- Remove the grilles and panels from the openings to connect the ductwork
- Check that all fan blades move freely
- Keep air paths free of loose foreign objects
- Connect the round flexible ducts to the WhisperKOOL Extreme using the duct collars provided with the duct accessory kit
- Pull the outer plastic wrapping and insulation away from the end of the duct to expose the reinforced inside duct liner
- Fasten the duct collar using tie straps or clamps around the inside liner
- Secure the duct collar to the unit using the screws provided. Take care to not damage or bend the gasket
- Use approved duct tape to seal all joints
Do not clamp around the outside insulation. It compresses and loosens over time.
Cold Air to/from Wine Cellar
- Remove supply air grille to install ductwork between WhisperKOOL Extreme unit and the cellar
- Connect the supply air ductwork from the cellar to the supply air outlet adapter flange at the WhisperKOOL Extreme unit
- Connect the return air ductwork from the cellar to the return air inlet adapter flange at the WhisperKOOL Extreme unit
Warm Air to/from Wine Cellar
- Connect ductwork on the condenser to direct heat and the air noise away from occupants
- Connect ductwork to another space within the basement or out of the building if the exhausted heat is undesirable.